The William Davidson Digital Archive of Jewish Detroit History, supported by the William Davidson Foundation, comprises over 330,000 images of newspaper pages from the Detroit Jewish News (1942- present) and the Detroit Jewish Chronicle (1916-1951). It is the leading online primary resource for the history of Detroit’s Jewish community, and one of the best English language, Jewish newspaper databases in America. The Archive is open-source, free to all users, word-searchable and downloadable, and accessed by local community members and researchers from America, Israel, and countries around the world.
The Archive is a permanent collection at the Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan, preserved in perpetuity for scholars, students, and the public.
On October 1, 2020, the Foundation assumed ownership of the Detroit Jewish News and is responsible for publishing the weekly print newspapers, which has served the greater Detroit Jewish community since 1942.